The hardware requirements might seem high at first but this is mostly due to Calamares taking a lot of RAM during installation and some other performance enhancing applications used. For window managers the actual needed specs are lower than KDE requirements.
- Minimum requirements:
- Recommended requirements:
Also, some important notes:
- We also don't recommend running Garuda Linux in a virtual machine as it is optimized to run on real hardware. Some things also refuse to run in Virtualbox such as Picom or Alacritty.
- If you are planning to dualboot with Windows - read this Arch wiki article first as it answers most questions you might have!
- If you experience Calamares crashing during the installation this is mostly due to not enough available RAM.
- The idle RAM usage will most likely be higher than on other distributions as we use ZRAM and some other tweaks to enhance the general system performance. Unused RAM is wasted RAM, it's as easy as that.
- Ventoy doesn't seem to work properly as some users reported issues. Use an imagewriter of your choice such as dd to burn the ISO to USB.
- Don't try to use Wayland (e.g. Wayfire) if running an NVIDIA graphics card.